Facial Review

These few weeks were rather busy and stressful and it all showed on my face. Pimples, clogs, blackheads, whiteheads etc. So what do a woman do when it comes to time like this? Facial lor...



Having said that, I have 2 regular beauticians and I alternate them. Yesterday, I didn't go any of them. Instead, I tried out a new beauty regime from Subtle Senses.



Subtle Senses



First impression when I stepped in, was hardly subtle and hardly rejuvenating in any senses. The staff at the reception desk were like working in telecom, always on the phone. If I bumped into a staff along the corridor, she would be walking so busily and so hurriedly. Making me feel that I must walk faster in lest of obstructing traffic.



Led to a room to change out and locker provided to keep personal stuff. It was the usual as in any beauty parlour. My facial was done by Lee Yee. Okay, when she first started, I thought she was rather rough. She cleansed my face quickly and her fingers worked through my face like the MRT train running. I was fine with it as long as she didn't mis-qued and suddenly poked my eyes. I opted for a simple basic facial and was recommended to try their Anti-Defying facial which was said to be good at combating oily combination skin, clear the skin and tighten the pores.



After a while, I realised that her techniques was similiar to Maggie (my regular beautician). Hence, I started to relax more. Extraction was done swiftly and considerably less painful than Maggie. The mask was cooling which I quite liked. Overall, I found my skin to be much clearer after facial and the extraction didn't leave my face reddened.



However, I didn't like the way she trimmed my eyebrows. I thought it was too "skinny", rather unnatural. Also, the steamer seemed not working well, unable to steam my face evenly.



Ambience : 2* (not very relaxing environment and the aircon was rather too cold for comfort. But fortunately, I had a thick blanket over me)



Beautician Skill : 3* (perhaps having a more gentle touch will be more assuring. extraction didn't leave any red marks or scars.)



Value for money : 4* (paid $88 exclusive of 7% GST for 1st timer special. I think is okay for $88)



Verdict : Will go again if I happen to be around town and in need of a facial badly.



Face Bistro



Introduced to this place by Darren's sister, YL. I like their room, small and cosy. The bed is warm and the aircon is just right. Alice is a chatty girl but most of the time, I dozed off in the midst of the facial.



When I first stepped into face bistro, I had a skin scanned. Then a photograph of my skin was captured and saved. Alice recommended a hydrating facial to combate my oily skin. Gentle in touch and products used were very hydrating and fragant. I liked how a hydrating paper mask was placed on my face with the steam over and extraction done with a "scrapper". After 1st facial, my skin was scanned and photographed again. And a comparison was made.



Effects after facial - i do get redness on my face, sometimes quite hideous. But the skin will calm down after an hour or so. Eyebrow trimming by Alice is good. Very natural. Extraction was never painful.



Ambience - 4* ( very quiet and peaceful. treatment room small but cosy)



Beautician skill - 3.5* (although she did extraction, but was not thorough enough. other than that, you find assurance in her hands)



Value for money - 3.5* (products are from Japan. Enriching indeed and smell nice. But a hydrating facial easily cost $140. On the high side)



Verdict - I will keep this one and will go more regularly. Although it's expensive, it is an investment. haha



Maggie



She is a home based beautician. Been her customer since 2003. She is my first beautician and definitely there have been positive result after going for her facials. My face cleared up a lot since then. I often joked to Maggie about taking my photos to advertise for her, my before and after photo. I also recommended friends to her and they still continue with her.



But be warned, her extraction is extremely painful but very effective. Sometimes I think she is obsessed in unclogging all pores and removing all clogs. Face is usually very red after facial. But there won't be any scars and skin will recover within a week.



Although she is home based, she has a room that was converted to treatment room and it is completely equipped for a good facial. She uses Dermalogica products, so is safe. You can even do waxing. She does a pretty good job in eyebrow trimming, though there are a few times, she went off-form, but it was nothing serious. Not like your eyebrow was completely shaven. Just that the shape not to my liking.



Ambience - 4* (her house is big and clean. She is professional. She wears uniform even though she is working from home)



Beautician skill- 4* (very assuring. nothing could go wrong here. only complaint is extraction is painful and by hand)



Value for money - 3* (since it is home based, you might thought it is cheaper, apparently no so. her pricing is equivalent to outside charging. products used is from a safe brand)



Verdict - I cannot take the pain too much now, so I opt to go back to her if my skin is really full of clogs. The plus point is her appointment is easier to be made.







Comments