Sakuraya

I am a lover of Sashimi. My favourite was the Ika (cuttlefist) when I first tasted it in Fiesta restaurant. Subsequently, I noted that for fresh sashimi, one should go to Sushi-Tei at the Takashimaya outlet. But i was totally wrong. Nothing beats the freshness from Sakuraya.

I first heard of Sakuraya from my colleague on a casual talk. I didn't quite understand what she meant by fish mart. Then one fine day, Darren brought me Sakuraya for fresh sashimi. I was totally blown away!

We went to the outlet at Pasir Panjang Village. It was relatively quiet since it's situated at ulu corner of a dead shopping centre. You would get to choose your own fish and at the portion you want. The chef would then slice it for you. Been there for quite a few times and different chefs had their own individual style of slicing fish.

Anyway, turned out that Sakuraya is a favourite hunt in Darren's family and so much that his sister is a member. Last Sunday, we went back there again. As usual, i would have my favourites which are generally everyone's favourite too.

Oh... back to the story of Ika, but ever since I tasted the real freshness of Tako (Octopus) from Sakuraya, that was it! Tako took over the 1st position. I tell you, the Tako was really very fresh, very sweet and very juicy. Yummy! The salmon sashimi and the tuna, very different taste from other places.

Other than the sashimi, we had a try on the potato salad and Unagi Avocado Maki.

Potatoes cooked till soft, mashed with mayo. Added in slices of carrot and onions plus a good portion of hard boiled egg. I generally quite like potato salad and this version is well with me.

Highly recommended is the Unagi Avocado Maki.

I am not really a fan of Maki and at first glance, i thought it wouldn't be as outstanding as their sashimi. After popped in my 1st maki, hey, it was good!

See the generous portion of avocado spread on the top of the Maki. Very sweet but not overwhelming. The different taste of each ingredient blended well.

We're going to have this again for our Xmas Party!

Sakuraya has another outlet at PP (Parkway Parade) but at this outlet, you can only point to the staff what's your choice. Unlike in the other PP (Pasir Panjang), you can handpick the fish you want. Over at Anchorpoint, they have a Sashimi House which I went once. It's not a fish mart but rather an upscale Japanese restaurant. Pricing is a lot different from the fish mart outlets.

Comments