Not really the Moo Cow



After we got discharged on Friday, my emotion took a nose-dive. First, I discovered I hadn't had any milk at all. My poor boy was crying so hungrily at midnight that papa had to rush out to buy a tin of Similac for him.

Think of it, I still feel the heartache.

I couldn't do much except to keep crying. Sigh! It's really heartbreaking to hear your baby cries non stop. But luckily my confinement lady was experienced. She managed to pacify Jonathan until papa was back with the formula milk.

However, my lousy mood didn't just picked up. When I woke up on Saturday morning, my tears flowed again. It was really a very stressful period for me even though I kept reminding myself that formula milk was just as good.

But somehow, I just couldn't managed my emotion. This was the first time I cried until my eyes were so swollen that I couldn't even recognise myself. It really took me 3 days to calm myself down and my mood got lifted abit.








On Monday 29 Aug, I discovered my milk has arrived. I only managed to latch Jonathan once before he was warded for jaundice. Being encouraged by the sight of milk, I diligently kept massaging and pump to stimulate the milk supply.







Today, Jonathan was discharged and I'm glad my milk supply is increasing though very slowly.

What I have learnt from the past 1 week -

1. new mummy really needs a lot of encouragement and support. Not nagging or negative comments.

2. must drink a lot of fluid and massage the breasts to prep for breastfeeding.

3. have faith that God will supply.

Though my mood is better as the milk starts to flow, there are moments that I fall into "silence". Really, during this confinement period, all I need is peace and peace and peace. Not negative comments or remarks. If there ain't any good thing to say, just keep quiet.



Comments

mamamira said…
Hihi, everything gonna be fine, it's just the post pregnancy hormones tat are kicking in. I remembered when I was a new mother, I never felt as lost as before in my entire life! Even I so wanna cry, I oso got no tears to cry. I kept telling my hubby I felt so pressurized and saying silly thgs like how I wished Mira can go back into my tummy so tat I can sleep, can eat. The BM oso caused me major stress! My supply was late cum low. But I realized tat although BM is the best for bb but a mother's role is MORE than just abt breastfeeding. I kept telling myself I cannot afford to breakdown, my bb cannot grow up w/o the presence of her mother, and that kept me going & going. In the meantime, you just try to relax and rest more, ok? Let Jon drink FM while you supp it with BM. Gradually, you be able to increase his BM feedings as yr supply builds up. Breastfeeding requires a lot of patience and perseverance.
mamamira said…
And I feel it's mother nature abt wat it takes to breastfeed in order to prepare us for the journey of motherhood. Plenty of love and patience to keep giving. Mira is coming 2yo and I am still thriving twds these qualities everyday. As to begin with, I am a very impatient person by nature!
Les Pommes said…
Thanks Mamamira for sharing and your encouragement. I really didn't expect that bm will be so little and takes a while to come in. My supply is still stagnant. And the hormones are keeping me weepy. Sigh! I hope I will be able to see the light soon.

BTW, i saw from littlemissrabbit FB, photos of mira. Very nicely taken!
mamamira said…
Wat I have learnt fm my first experience is: never feel guilty tat my newborn has to drink FM from the start. I mean I can't possibly let her go hungry while I persist in the thinking tat BM is the only best. BM is like this- the more you stressed abt it, the more you can't produce it. Take the opportunity while the confinement lady is still around to care for Jon, u take it easy, rest more, eat well and pump at frequent intervals. The supply will GRADUALLY increase. As I said b4, it takes a lot patience. My BM only increases twds bb full month but I only BF for less than 3 months as my big mistake is I didn't invest in a good breast pump and also I failed in pumping as frequently as I should be.
And thanks for yr compliment. Are you on FB too? My profile pic is Mira and I am the 1st person to click on the 'like' button on 'little Mira'. Add me as fren :)