The Birth Story


It has been barely a week and I experienced plenty of emotions output, to put it simply. My emotion is running on a roller coastor mode.

Starting from 23 Aug 2011, 9pm.

We were told to admit to the hospital around 7-8pm but being so ill prepared, we only managed to leave our house at 7.45pm without dinner. So we went to the nearby mall for dinner which I could only think of Mac Donald for a quick dinner. But Darren thought it wasn't memorable so we went to this new Thai restaurant.

By the time we were done with dinner and cabbed to the hospital, it was already past 9pm. We wanted a single bedded room but was told it isn't available. So I sulked all the way up to the ward until a nurse discovered there was a single bedded room available. My mood went up a little, though I wasn't completely satisfied. I think back then, I was expecting some sort of a nice hotel room.

So here's me looking grumpy in the surgery robe and waiting for the prostaglandin tablet to be inserted.






10pm, another nurse came by to do the procedure. Contraction started quite swiftly after that. For the whole night, I couldn't really sleep well. Kept tossing around.

Pain level - 2 with 10 being the highest.

24 August 2011 - 5am

Woke up for breakfast and another medication was inserted to clear my bowel movement before I was brought down to delivery suite.





Breakfast was a cup of milo and 2 pieces of toasts. Pathetic but then, I wasn't really in the best mood to eat anything.


7am - Dr Tan came and burst my waterbag. Cervix checked only 2cm dilated. Regular contraction. Estimated delivery time to be around 3-4pm. I sulked again. Opted for epidural as I know I won't be able to stand the contraction pain soon.

7.30am - Dr Lim, the anesthetist came. He was concerned about my disc problem and went through great length to ensure me and Darren were fully aware of the risk involved. Finally, after 4 rounds of explanation, Dr Lim gave me my epidural.

Administration of Epidural
Pain level - 5

I squeezed Darren's hands very tight when the needle went down my back. But the relief from contraction pain was good.





8am - epidural effect kicked in. But side effect kicked in too. I started to shiver and felt nauseous.

11+ am - Dr Tan came and checked on me again. Cervix dilation 4cm. I sighed and braced myself for a long day ahead.

1pm - By then, I was so hungry but could only sipped warm water.

1.30pm - Mid wife came in and checked my dilation. Suddenly everything went to a fast forward motion again.

Mid wife declared I'm fully dilated. Prepped me to start pushing. Called Dr Tan to come in.

Darren supported my neck as I was having neck strain. Mid wives (2 of them) came to help me. It was a good thing I revised my notes before coming to hospital so I only push when contraction came.

Mid way of pushing, Dr Tan came in and gowned up. I was still pushing with everyone's encouragement and help.

Close to 2pm, suddenly everyone told me to stop pushing. The next moment, Darren was jumping in elation. The baby - Xiao Poh has arrived.

"Waa Waa" ..... Then papa Darren has the honour of cutting the umbilical cord.

Xiao Poh was cleaned up with papa hovering around like a protective mother hen while I'm being stitched up and cleaned up by Dr Tan.


Introducing our Xiao Poh - Jonathan Poh. Born 24 August, 2.68kg.






Trying to orientate himself into this strange world of bright lights and unfamiliar noises.






Taking a peep at our world.






And finally, found the voices he has heard for so long.






Our 1st family portrait taken - everyone looked so fanstatic except the mummy.







Bathed and tucked in. Baby Jonathan in his slumberland.


Comments

mamamira said…
Hi Jonathan mummy! My heartiest congratulation to you and yr family!! And hope you are coping well during yr confinement now. It's very normal to be feeling 'roller coaster' at now. Just keep sharing yr feelings with yr hubby, family, frens or other fellow mummies and you'll certainly embrace motherhood easier :) Take good care!
Les Pommes said…
Thank you mamamira! It is really such a roller coaster ride for me. Hope ur photoshoot goes well :)