a Trip to Miss

Just got back from smiling land - Thailand's Bangkok. But I didn't come back smiling.

1. The sun was so scorching hot! Our hotel, Indra Regent was a distance away from the shopping belt. We needed to walked on foot approximately 15 mins. There was no shelter at one part and the sun just beat it down on me. I came back looking slightly tanned.

2. No longer was Bangkok where you could have a real bargain. We went to the famous Chatuchak weekend market and the items were over priced incredibly. We bargained but it was futile. Most of the time, we walked away empty handed and the sellers made no attempt to recall us back.

We : How much is this? (T-shirt, very thin type)
Seller : 280 Baht
We : 200 Baht
Seller: No, cannot. Final price 270 Baht

Seller at this point would either raise her voice by now, gave us a black face and then turned away. We walked away and she continued her own chit chat with neighboring stall.

And if you think we were too much in slashing the price, wait till you read this. We walked further into the market and the inner stalls were selling the same T-shirt at 190 Baht. Do you think we would still buy?

On the last day of our trip, we went to the Pratanum market just below our hotel. I wanted to get some black tights. I remembered on our 1st night we wandered into the crowded market and they were marked at 50 Baht. But things were different when you shopped in the day. Suddenly the same black tight cost 100 Baht.

me : how much? (black tight with lace at bottom)
she : 100 Baht (don't even bother to look at me, just keep shitting her stuff)
me : 50 Baht?
she : No. Cannot. 70 Baht for 3
me : huh? oh... is 3 for 70 Baht

so I started choosing 3 pieces and gave her 70 Baht

she : MISS. *Big Sigh!* you buy 3, I give you 70 Baht.

Took her calculator and keyed in the figure. She looked at me with her black face. In my confusion, I gave her the 210 Baht and took my 3 tights and walked off. Now, come to think of it. Why do I need the 3 tights?

3. the Food - not interesting and not yummy. I don't know what happened to the Bangkok Tom Yum. How come is in red? What happened to the authentic clear sour spicy soup that I was so happily slurping everyday in Krabi? I was disappointed. Same goes for mango sticky rice. I remembered having one really good mango sticky rice in MBK center, but I couldn't find it anymore. I tried one at the Platinum shopping center but it was not good. The sticky rice.. was... hmm... soggy?

4. Basically Bangkok is all about shopping. So if our shopping was not good, what else can we do? Eat? but the food was not good too. How? We spent most of our time in the air conditioned shopping mall and observing those thai ladies with their ang moh partners. Coming up with our own imaginative conversation between the 2 of them. If not, we fall back on Starbuck. At least there's something that didn't changed.

Since the weather was so hot! I consumed 12L of water in 3 days plus lotsa other drinks in between. So can you imagine now, my face is as big as the water bottle?

Comments

Anonymous said…
haha...wow.. bangkok changes so much...i was so shocked with the lousy attitude of the sellers there...i remembered the good old days where we could slash the price to half of what was quoted lor...wat happened to bangkok nw? aiyo... u drank too water till u tin u haf the water retained on ur face? haha... wat a funni and creative comparison.. LOL..but no worries.. u still look good..not tat bloated =)
Les Pommes said…
I lost some weight before I left Bangkok. But over there, stress free and nothing much to do. Gain back all + 10% more. Haha..

Yup, gone were the times that you could really pick a good bargain in BKK. Came back feeling quite sianz. 1st time i went for holiday and wished I didn't go at all. what a lousy feeling!