moo-ing


Breastfeeding. Looks easy, seems easy, thinks easy. However, even the lactation consultant begs to differ. There's a lot of hard work (and sweat) for each precious drop.

想当年, my milk only kicked in at Day 6 after I delivered Jonathan and I was crying buckets over my failure to provide milk for him. This round, I'm more cool and less stress about everything.

For a start, during my pregnancy days with Matthew, I worn non-wired bras throughout. I periodically used hot water to massage my breasts during showers and drank fish soup now and then. It really paid off. Also, I don't rush to latch my baby when the nurse push in Matthew. Instead, I drank my warm red date tea, massaged my breasts before picking Matthew up. I ensured that there's colostrum first before latching him. I'm glad my efforts paid off this round.



Day 5 - 60ml EBM



At Day 5 - I am pumping out 60ml for 3-4 hours interval.

Yesterday at PD, Matthew's weight was back to almost birth weight and he had only slight jaundice. Matthew's experience was totally different from Jonathan. In fact, I could latch Matthew till he's full (provided that he diligently sucks well) and I could pump out another 30ml after latch if I feel that he didn't help empty my boobs.

Now at Day 6 - 70ml of ebm. Enough for one full feed with a little extra. I'm so glad and happy.

But then, there's also the troublesome engorgement that I took 2 days to battle with. With lecithin (recommended by the December mummies), hot stone massage.. I managed to keep it at bay.




lil Matthew at Day 4





I do hope that I can continue to upkeep my supply and breastfeed Matthew longer.



Comments

Angeline said…
Jia You!!!