Arrival of Matthew Poh


38 weeks 2 days - 16 December 2012

Matthew decided to meet us on this special day.

15th December 2012

6+pm - started to feel irregular contractions. Thinking it was just one of those contractions when I over exerted myself, I ignored it and continued my activity. Went over to MIL's place for dinner and left her place at 8pm.

8-9+pm - started to feel that it might not be a false alarm. Darren settled Jonathan to sleep while I packed my hospital bag and activated my mum.

10+pm - contraction came at a regular pace of 10mins apart, with tightening of tummy and pressure at the pelvic. Called the hospital hotline and Dr Irene Chua advised me to head to the hospital.

11+pm - bathed and finished my TVB drama. Mum reached my place and we left for the hospital. On the way, made a detour to Mac. I was still grumbling that I couldn't have my sashimi feast before admitting to hospital.

16th December 2012

12.30am - Reached Gleneagles and was ushered to the delivery ward at level 5. Was led to labour room #2 and changed into the hospital gown. The nurse then strapped me onto the CTG scan. I was 2cm dilated.




love the little xmas deco they hang around the rooms


1+ am - the nurse returned and said that my contraction was now 5-6 minutes apart. Started me on the antibiotics drip on Dr Chua's instruction.



drip on forearm


Well, it was a strange place to be put on the drip - the forearm. But the nurse advised that this was the best position as when I need to exert strength to push, the drip won't be in the way.



waiting and waiting...


I started to drift in and out of sleep. The contraction pain was still bearable and it was about 3+am when the antibiotics drip was done. The nurse put a stopper for me and undone the CTG scan so I could move around.

3-5+ am - I actually fell asleep. Was awaken by the nurse around 5.45am when she returned to put the CTG scan on me.

6.45am - Dr Chua came. I was only 2-3cm dilated. She said I'm in between labour as the contraction seemed to have gone away and I actually could sleep in between. So she gave us the option to break the waterbag and sort of induce birth as there was no much point in going home. Before she broke the water bag, she helped stretch my cervix which was really really painful. The breaking of water bag was then not too bad. I was asked if I needed epidural, which I declined since I could still bear the pain.

From then, the contraction came fast. I could feel the constant tightening and the constant pressure at the pelvic. The pain actually came from the intense pressure at the pelvic.

I also had the opportunity to brush my teeth and wash my face... all done on bed.

9am - I waved the white flag and asked for epidural.

9.30am - Epidural was administrated and I could relax to catch some TVB dramas on Darren's laptop.

11+am - Started to feel the side effects from epidural -shivering, nausea and itchiness. Midwife came and checked on me. I was only 4cm dilated. I also got the nurse to reduce the dose for me.

In between the wait, I had isotonic drink, warm water and even small pieces of chocolate to keep my energy level up.

1.45pm - Dr Chua returned and announced I was fully dilated. But the baby's head was still high.

The midwife came in and also announced my epidural syringe had finished. Wasted to start a new syringe. I immediately panic and asked the midwife to "quickly get into action" as I was quite scared of the labour pain.

2pm - Dr Chua returned with midwife and another nurse. I was told to start pushing. Yes, I could start to feel the immerse pressure at the pelvis which was really like super constipated moment. For a while, I thought I had run of energy and breath and the push seemed to be eternal.

Finally after 15minutes or so, my Matthew was laid on my chest.

My 1st impression was my Matthew was so small, so tiny.

Darren took over the task of photographer and watched our 2nd prince being cleaned up while Dr Chua worked on me.




my little bundle of joy



Matthew was then returned to me. I didn't start breastfeeding soon as I started to itch all over and I was trembling uncontrollably from the epidural side effect. When Matthew was sent up to the nursery, the nurse came and sponged me so I would feel better. Darren also helped to get me a cup of warm milo to "calm" me down.



aftermath of the epidural effects


There were really many dragon babies and the nurses were all very busy running around. I was lucky that I could still get my single room though I had to wait quite a while at the delivery suite.




relaxing in my single room



It was 4.30pm by the time I was push to my single room #635. I stayed at #638 when I had Jonathan.

I caught some sleep while waiting for dinner to be served.



my 2 little darling boys


As for my newborn and Jonathan, they do resemble a little as newborn.

I also have to say, my stay at Gleneagles this time round was much better than last year. My red date tea  and hot flask of water were constantly refilled. The Lactation Consultant spent more time with me to get Matthew to latch on me properly. The level 6 west nurses were much friendlier and helpful. Dr Irene Chua was also very pro in breastfeeding.

It's a good thing I decided to go back to Gleneagles again.


Comments

Emma said…
Hello, congratulations!
I have chanced upon your blog a few months back when I was looking for gleaneagles review. And have been following your blog since then. Coincidentally, Dr Irene Chua was my gynae when u decide to switch to her. The second coincidence happened when baby Matthew arrive on 16th Dec as my birthday falls on this day as well.
Once again, congrats and rest well....
Les Pommes said…
Hello Emma,

What a coincidence! When's your EDD? Dr Irene Chua is really a very nice doctor. But too bad, we are done with our 2 boys. Otherwise, I would go back to her again.

BTW, do you have a blog too?

Emma said…
Hello,
My EDD is on 14th Jan. However, I have scheduled for c-section as bb still in breech position until now. Shall follow up on my next appointment. I do not have a blog. Keep you posted again. Take care and rest well, Mummy!

Best regards
Emma