2 weeks have passed ...



Jonathan is already 2 weeks old. How have been the mummy and baby coping?

The 1st week was terrible as I had blogged. 2nd week has been much better. Could be the crazy hormones have subsided and I'm no longer weepy. Or it could be I have finally decided to take it easy on the breastfeeding issue. Just like mamamira and another friend has said, the role of a mother is more than just breastfeeding.


To be honest, sometimes I feel like giving up on breastfeeding. My yield is still so pathetic that I need 3 pumps to make up to one feed. Jon is now feeding 60mL of formula milk. I gave him 60mL of expressed breast milk and he could sleep 3 hours. If I latch him, he would wake up hourly.





Don't be mistaken by the milk photo above. This was what I managed to gather after 6-7 hours of non-latching. Looking at the statistics, I deduced that during latching, Jon is taking less than what he needs. Hence, he wakes up hourly. But if I pump out, I don't have enough to give (remember my 3 pumps = 1 feed). So Jon is now taking half breast milk and formula milk.


And these 2 days, Jon needs a lot of soothing to get to sleep. He wants to suckle and when he does that, he vomits out milk. I ended up having to use a pacifier to soothe him. Sigh!



But Jon is growing, we both feel that he is much taller and heavier now.





During this 2nd week, his eyes was infected. First, it was the right eye with discharge so matted he couldn't open them. Then when it was clear, the left eye got it. Thank God we managed to see a PD. Although PD mentioned it's more of a blocked tear duct, he gave us an antibiotic eye lotion to standby. The next day, his left eye's white was reddened. So papa quickly applied the lotion.

I'm glad that Jon is now recovering from his eye infection.





We have tried to stop swaddling him as it's getting hot and he's getting uncomfortable. Here's one with his favourite sleeping position. But not sure, if it is also due to him moving around too much, he vomits his milk quite frequently.






This morning, we let him play on his baby gym. He could only manage 5-10 minutes before he starts to make noise again. But that's a good start! I hope eventually he could entertain himself for a while to free me up.

Today, papa Darren has finally registered Jonathan's birth. We took so long as we couldn't agree upon his chinese name. After much argument and deliberating, Jonathan has a chinese name. Poh Jun Wei (傅 俊 玮) Jun as in the "handsome" and Wei as in the "precious gems".


And finally, mummy has gone through the jamu massage to shrink the tummy. I signed up for 7 sessions and the result was shown evidently after 1 massage. Initially the 1st 2 times, I worn the binder overnight. But by 3rd time, the heat was getting on me. So I removed the binder nightly. It was a good thing the result was not compromised.




I took a pix of my tummy after my 5th session. Still have a little bulge but I'm happy with the result. On the weighing scale, I lost 8 kg in 2 weeks. I would be happier if I could shed off another 4 kg.

Though the figure and weighing scale show positive result, I realise my hips have not shrinked. Oh dear! Also, I still couldn't wear my wedding ring and my finger joints are still painful.

Looks like there's more work to be done.

Next week, we'll be celebrating Jonathan's full month. Yup, we are holding it earlier since the confinement lady is leaving before Jonathan actual full month. Oh boy! Although confinement lady is not exactly tidy, she has been a great help to me. The days of me and Jon alone is coming soon... that's scary! I hope we will survive well.


Comments

mamamira said…
Great to know that things on your side are getting better and Jon looks to be thriving well too :) About the milk vomiting, it's common as the feeding tube (to the intestines) is still very short. Mira was always spitting milk until she turned 6mths, so her nickname is Merlion, lol! As for pacifier, just ensure that it is solely being used for sleeping. Mira used pacificier from 2mths til 11mths. When her two front upper teeth appeared, she suddenly disliked the pacifier and started learning to self sooth to sleep.
mamamira said…
And don't give up on BF just yet....the first few months of your BM, no matter wats the amount, is still very beneficial to bb health in long run :))