Washing : Round 1



Entering into the last trimester of my pregnancy, is time to take out all the baby's clothes and start washing them. There are many different opinions and advice on how to go about it. Some people only go by hand washing. Those going for machines wash, are advised to clean the washing machine drum with vinegar and water. After weighing out all the pros and cons and looking at my own time limitation and energy level, I decided to just wipe down my washing machine with wet wipes first (to remove dust) and then with a bit diluted dettol to "disinfect" the drum. Then I left the the drum door open to air it before I started my washing madness.

We bought a very basic front loading machine which has no self cleaning and no baby care function. So I chose the longest and most gentle program at 40C to begin my laundry journey. This program really took its time to wash... the wash cycle was 1hour long and it took doubly the time to wash the whole cycle than usual.

I guess for the initial start, I would stick to this. But no way, can I wait more than 2hours for the washing machine to do its job!






Round 1A kicked off yesterday with all the hands-me-down. The Pigeon baby detergent doesn't come with anti-bacterial so I added a tiny weeny bit of dettol to sanitize the clothes.










Round 1B started at 7am this morning. It was all the new clothes we bought, plus all the bedsheet and pillow cases.










And not forgetting the cloth diapers we got from wet market. Out of the 12 pieces, 2 pieces were badly yellow stained. Guess no one buys cloth diapers nowadays. Notice the little wash clothes or hankies underneath. The little hankies so tiny, I think probably won't be using them much.









Finally, the comforter and the bumpers went into the machine at mid-day.








Lastly, the pillows that need to be sun. Unfortunately, this is period where my kitchen doesn't get direct sun and these few days, the sky kept on threatening to rain.



You can guess what a war zone must my kitchen laundry area be. And this is just the beginning. I intend to wash all of them again in July and August.


Comments

Anonymous said…
May I know wat is the pros and cons of using cloth diapers instead of disposable one other than cost-saving?
Les Pommes said…
The older folks insist on having cloth diapers as they think disposable diapers would cause nappy rash. For my case, I bought the cloth diapers, to use it as pillow for baby, blanket or swaddle him. Also useful when we are at parent's place, we can lay the cloth diaper before putting the baby down to sleep. Lastly, if baby really get nappy rash, will let him use the cloth diaper for the time being.
mamamira said…
Hi, mummy-to-be, I got to know yr blog thru bloghopping and enjoys reading it as it brought back fond memories of mine :)) Also to share wif u abt the pigeon detergent, it has antibacterial added for the powder type wh you might wanna try. So u needn't use dettol in addition. Hope tis helps to save little time for you, take care!
Les Pommes said…
Thank you mamamira for your advice. We will keep a lookout for the anti-bacterial detergent powder! :)