Challenging Journey


Never thought I would ever encounter a challenging pregnancy myself, afterall, when I was carrying Jonathan, everything was a breeze.

Now at 16 weeks 2 days, after going to 4 different doctors for their consultation, and endless googling on information, 2 problems surfaced. Technically, I'm now known as high risk pregnancy with threatened miscarriage. The 1st aim is to make it to week 26.

At the last visit to the gynae, I'm glad I managed to meet Dr Ho HK from Mt A. After hearing what we got to say, he went down to business. He's detailed, experienced and careful. Did a thorough check on me.

Placenta -

Yes, it is still low lying and it is still covering my cervix opening. But Dr Ho did a scope and found that it was the edge of the placenta covering the cervix. So it was not as bad as a case where the placenta sits squarely on the cervix. There's still hope of the placenta moving up but he won't say whether it's good chance, slim chance or high chance. So now, it is a wait-and-see approach.

Cervix -

New problem. The cervix distance has shortened. The cervix distance only shortened when a baby is due, that is when it effaces and dilates. At 16 weeks, my cervix distance is 2.9cm whereas a healthy distance is 3.5cm. Whether my cramps caused the cervix to go into a deficiency or the cervix deficiency caused the cramps and spottings, Dr Ho felt that knowing the theory won't help. A solution is more important. Otherwise, if the condition aggravates further (the distance is less than 2.5cm), it means I need to be hospitalized till I give birth.

And in the midst, Dr Ho suddenly asked this question. How much do we want this baby and pregnancy?

I do not know what to say. I never thought I would be asked this question. XP2, though came so unexpectedly, it is still our child. As precious as Jonathan.

The total bill came up to $600+ after GST with the 3 types of medications taking up half of the bill. Going back to Dr Ho for a review 2 weeks later. I guess at this point, money is secondary as we really need an experienced gynae to handle my pregnancy. Dr Ho also knows when a patient suddenly called up in the midst of the pregnancy, it is usually there's complication. He also explained why he took a longer time to reply whether he could meet me, as he wanted to consider if he has the time to look after me.

There's no pushing from his side. He's polite and always make sure we are on the same page as him. So no doubt, he wears branded from head to toe and a long waiting time at his clinic... the gut feeling is I will be in good hands.

So for now, I better be good. Don't keep carrying Jonathan and rest more. It is better to be home daily and see my baby then to be separated from him by lying in the hospital.






Comments

Angeline said…
Cheer up! Continue to have faith with our Lor :) Miracle will definitely happened! Will b praying together with u too :) Take care.
Chelsea said…
Hello! It's been 5 years since you blogged but I was also under Dr Ho and he said I have a short cervix for my #1. For my #2 I decided to go to another gynae, who said I probably don't need bedrest because I carried #1 to 39 weeks in the end.

Would love to know - after you switched gynae, did your gynae have you go on bedrest/give progesterone / steroid shots? I saw that you eventually gave birth at 38 weeks + which is great!