A New Beginning


1st March 2013 marks a new chapter in Jonathan's life. For the first time, he worn a school uniform and went to school.



excited about going to school


He was really excited and had no idea what's going to happen.

Day 1 of Mindchamps



where his shoes were kept



I was allowed to sit in with him. We reached at 9am and did the necessary health check. We were brought to a combined playgroup class for singalong session. Afterwhich, we were then brought to Jonathan's classroom where they had their morning tea break and lessons. Diaper change was done before gym class.

The 1st crying episode started at gym class when I was not in the line of his sight. I didn't want to rush to comfort, allowing the teachers to handle him. Only when he started wailing, then I went over. From then on, he cling to me.

2nd crying fit happened when I had to take a toilet break. He was wailing so loudly when I returned and he took some time to calm down.




eating by himself



When he finally calmed down, it was lunch and he tried to self feed. But then he didn't like spaghetti so he only tried 2 mouths.

The last crying fit was at the last diaper change before we went home. Even I was holding him and the teacher was changing him, he just kept on crying.

Darren came to send us back and he just conked out in the car on the way home.




KO after a terrifying day for him



Day 2

I was still allowed to sit in with him and this time, he cried more than 1st day but he was still willing to participate in the activities after some prompting.


enjoying his music lesson


I brought him home after lunch.


Day 3

The last day I could sit in with him. By now, he started to know what's coming and cried at every instance. It took longer time to comfort him and I kept encouraging him and telling him that school is fun.

The teachers had to take a shot of him to label his items in school and I managed to take a snap shoot of him.



eyes so swollen with all the crying



This was the day that I took the stone hearted way. Said a firm goodbye and promised I would come back to pick him up soon. Then I left him with his teacher just before lunch.

I decided to go for early lunch with a fellow mummy and when we returned, the teacher told us that actuallly both our boys were coping despite our absence. So we left and told the teacher we would return to pick up the boys after their nap.



can't wait to go home


Jonathan cried a little when he saw me after his nap. He eagerly went off to take his shoes.


Day 4

No more sitting in with him. He cried quite badly at the gate. I said a proper goodbye and promised I would come back for him. It was a Wednesday and they were having gourmet lesson in the afternoon. So I went to pick him up at 4pm.


posing with his masterpiece



I was given his masterpiece before we left for home.


his first sandwich


It was a sandwich with cheese, lettuce and baked beans.


It has been a week and everyday I extended his stay there. Although he still cried, he was responding to his teachers. Last Friday, we were given 2 storybooks to read with him and a review of what he had been doing in class.



reading time




review




more review



As of now, he's particularly attached to his chinese teacher. I also have good feeling about this Zhang Laoshi. I do hope Jonathan would also warm up to his english teacher, Ms Melanie soon.


Comments