Weighty Issue


Today had been such an eventful day for me & Xiao Poh.

Firstly, I was scheduled to go for Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) since my family has a history of diabetics. I was put on a fast since 10pm last night and reached the clinic at 9am this morning. They started with my urine sample and a blood test before proceeding to give me a orange flavoured dextrose drink. It was quite a large amount (300ml... i think) to drink within 5 minutes. Then I was ordered to abstain from drinking any water, going toilet and if I vomit, the whole test would be cancelled. At appointed time which was an hourly interval, I had to return for another set of urine and blood tube collection. And in between the waiting time, I was told to sit and wait and not roam around.

So it was a good thing that I had my routine gynae check today as well. So in between, I went to see my gynae. At the 1st round, was told that he had gone to the labour ward for his patient's delivery. It was at the 2nd round, I managed to see him but all is not well.

I was told that I had gained a little more than expected in these past 4 weeks. The targeted weight gain was 2kg per 4 weeks and I exceeded with a total of 2.7kg weight gain. I guess I was over stuffing myself at the cruise trip. The down side was the extra weight gain goes to the mummy and yes, I found myself ballooning at an alarming rate. Since preggy till now, my total weight gain is at a resounding 5.7kg... which put me on the weighing scale at 53.7kg :(

Then the worse is, my baby is putting on extra weight too! Xiao Poh weighed 522 g at 22wk which was perfectly okay. But one week later with a cruise trip, he gained so much more. His current weight of 760g exceeded his gestational age of 23wk. Doctor was expecting the baby to gain 120g per week. Xiao Poh's targeted weight at 23wk should be around 640g. He gained another 120g more now.

This is definitely not okay. Because now, we do not know if the baby's extra weight gain was due to overloading of nutrients or due to Gestational Diabetics(GB). This linked back to my GTT. If it is due to GB, then Xiao Poh is at health risk. The mother is also at health risk. Minor case is on restriction dietary requirement. Worst case is that mother has to jab insulin everyday to control the sugar level.

What's next?

Wait. If by tomorrow, I don't hear from my gynae, everything is well. If he calls me tomorrow, bad news.

Meanwhile, I am going to reduce starchy food and replace with healthy choice. The verdict of my intended diet control will only be out in 4 weeks' time.




For now, I'm leaving you now with my blood collection sites memorial.





Total 3 holes punture within 2 hours.


Comments