The Crazy Preggie Hormones


Pregnancy can really make my day better or worse.

The next day after I tested positive, I came down with a heavy flu. Knowing that I shouldn't take any medication at that point of time, I had to rely on natural remedies like gargling with warm salt water for sore throat and drinking plenty of warm lemon honey water to ease off the flu. It took quite a while for me to recover and I constantly worried about my little one.

From week 6 onwards, I suffered from Morning Sickness. I was nauseous most of the times and I gagged so much with my morning teeth brushing. I didn't puke or rather I couldn't puke out, so it was really a very difficult times for me. My only consolation was that with higher preggie hormones, the morning sickness would get worse, but it also meant baby was thriving well.

Slowly I realised I couldn't eat some of my favourite food.

Example 1: Duck Rice




Photo Source - http://aromacookery.com/2009/04/14/合记-he-ji-braised-duck/


I had duck rice for lunch one day and I got so nauseous for 3 days straight that a lot of people thought I was sick. From then on, I steer clear of duck rice.


Example 2 : Cake




Photo Source - http://www.womenmind.com/2010/04/making-chocolate-cake-tips.html


I am such a cake-tea person, yet now doctor advise no caffeine but I couldn't eat my cake. Little baby doesn't like cake, same like papa. My first experience was with a small piece of cake from someone's birthday. I got very nauseous after that. I thought I was being greedy, finished the cream, causing me to be nauseous. The next encounter, again was at someone's birthday party. Woah! Baby protested out right by making me seriously nauseous for 2 days straight.

So how did I manage Darren's birthday? I had to explain to baby that it was papa's birthday, hence we were having a birthday cake. We would all be eating the cake, even papa... just to celebrate his birthday. Little baby then accepted the tiniest piece of cake I could stomach.

But I learnt my lesson, no cake!



Other than food aversion, I am also highly sensitive to smell.

Example #1 : Hokkien Mee




Photo Source - http://www.singapore-vacation-attractions.com/hawker-food-photos.html


Suddenly it came the smelliest dish I ever come across. No no... it is not the chef's fault but my crazy preggie hormone.

Next up, was Fish. All fish is smelly to me except if they are really fresh. So, I only get to eat once when my mum came over with the freshest fish she could find in the market.

Then gone were all my Perfumes. The smell which I once adore so much, now become the enemy of my nose.

Blame it all on my crazy preggie hormones!

Comments