Phuket - Beaches



Welcome to Patong Beach! Although it rained when we were there, it was more of a passing shower than anything else.

The rain would come suddenly and gone swiftly. Don't underestimate the cloudy sky, the ray of Mr Sunny is powerful enough to penetrate through your umbrella, your shade and your sunblock to give you a nice toasting...





You probably can't appreciate the height of the waves from the photo, but if you could just imagine. I'm standing at 1.6m and the waves were strong enough to hit from the top and push me to the front.

That's how strong the waves and currents were.




At one stage, I got carried away. I went further out to the sea and soon found myself struggling. I lost my footing and couldn't feel the sand bed. That's when I realised I am in deep trouble. I tried to swim to the shore but no matter how, I was still at the same spot, if not, farther away from the shore.

In the end, I thought if I stayed still, the waves might just push me to the front, and I grabbed the opportunity to gain my foothold.

It was at that moment, I truly appreciate the fact how strong the current could be and how treacherous the sea could be. I am thankful that I am still alive today!









The night Patong beach offers another different setting from the day. In the daylight, you find thongs of people in their beach wears, strutting up and down the beach. Bikini girls having their suntan while the hunky had their quick dip.

In the night, it was all quiet and tranquil.





By 7.30pm, most of the people would have left the beach, saved for a few loners here and there. Still pumping their adrenaline with jet skis or the parasailing.


During my 4 days stay, I also encountered jellyfish. It was totally not pleasant, I tell you. We were actually swimming in another offshore island when suddenly, a current passed by us. There was an instant sting on my left wrist, my back and my ankle.

When I returned to the hotel, my left wrist had a slash of redness across. Suspected it was a jellyfish sting, we went to the pharmacy to seek help. The sting was really painful, something I won't want to experience it again.

On our last day at Patong, there was a high tide, strong wind and huge waves. By the time, the tide had subsided, jellyfishes were found stranded on the shore. Not one or two but the whole stretch of Patong Beach.






We went up and had a close look of the jellyfishes. Apparently, they were solid and hard. Not soft and mashy as I thought. In case you were wondering, I used my slippers to poke it.








Most of the jellyfishes were found inside out, upside down.










Actually it was quite a sorry sight of them. We tried to save one, using our slippers to push it down to the sea together with the wave. But there was too much sand on the jellyfish, making it too heavy to be washed back to the sea with the waves.



Besides Patong, we also took a trip to Phi Phi island for snorkelling.








The weather was good that day.

1st stop was at Maya beach. This was the site where Leonardo DiCaprio starred in the Beach and movie filmed at this beach.







There were a few islands hopping.

Next stop : Viking Cave







Pileh Cove - water was so clear you could spot the fishes.









Loh Samah Bay - to experience the different depth of the sea bed in a short distance.









Lunch at Phi Phi don. The aftermath of the 2006 Tsunami - all clean up.





Finally R&R at our last stop : Khai Island, which means Egg Island. The local guide explained that the island looked like an egg from the top.

It was in this island, I got a nasty sting from the jellyfish :(





Amazing Thailand has really alot to offer. This little island offers an unique snorkelling experience. Coral reef, sea urchins, beautiful fishes and fine sand.

I do wish our little sunny island has all these to offer too....


Comments