三菜一汤

That's what I did last night. Cooked a complete dinner for hubby and mother-in-law.

Dinner menu :

1) Mixed Brown Rice with Regular Plain Rice.

I was actually quite astonished by the amount of rice I needed to cook for a party of 3. Wonder was it the rice, or the water or the cooker, but I need to cook a 3 mugfuls of rice to get a decent portion. Plus, the rice seemed to absorb the water alot. Turned out that my rice was very hard and dry.

Lesson learnt : Add more water. Add more rice.

2) Stir Fry Pork Loin Slices with Mushrooms and Asparagus.

I thought it turned out quite well, the taste and the look. Just that the meat was tough.

Lesson learnt : Do not simmer for too long if meat is added.

3) Fishball Soup with Leafy Vegetables

Was surprised there's taste in the soup as I did not have ikan bilis to use as stock. So I added salt and light soya sauce for taste. The leafy vegetables gave a tint of green to the soup.

Lesson learnt : Got to stock up on ikan bilis or soya bean for that favoursome soup taste.

4) Hotdog

Hee Hee... wasn't worth mentioning at all. There were 3 hotdogs left in the freezer so I thought I would just used it. Was a bit charred on the side.

Lesson learnt : Use smaller fire if my hands were full.

5) Steamed Cod Fish

Steamed a piece of cod fish with ginger and threw in some ginger slices on top. Add some light soya sauce for taste.

Lesson learnt : Should have bought some chilli for garnishing although I had the chinese parsley. Still it would be better in taste and look if there was green and red against the white fish.

Dessert was lime sorbet. Paired it up wit strawberries, grapes and sliced apples.

It was a pity that I didn't have the time to take a photo of the meal I did. Nonetheless, I'm glad that everyone enjoyed the dinner I prepared. The only thing was that the kitchen was oily after the cooking. There was plenty to clean up after the meal.

Overall comment : I think I kind of like cooking. And I improved in my timing. Everything was done in an hour. Hope I get more chances to do so. =D

Comments

Angeline said…
Great Attempt! Jia You =)
Brandon said…
Good try.. need a teacher to guide you? Cheers!