the Quiet market

You know usually around the festive season, the shopping malls are always crowded. This year is a totally different scene from last year.

I went shopping last weekend. Something which I hadn't done in quite a long while. Besides, CNY is coming up and so armed with a mission to shop for bags and clothes, I braved myself for the long queuing at the changing rooms and squeezed with the crowds.

Oh, I was quite wrong. In fact, I hadn't much trouble bringing clothes into the changing area to try. One thing that I was caught quite off guard was the discount given. It happened post CNY but before CNY... seldom heard of.

Nonetheless, I thought it was really a good time to stock up whatever you need or want. With huge discounts given up to 50%, I really had a good bargain.

So just over the weekend, I got myself one new wallet from Esprit ($39 after discount), 2 new bags - one big black for work and one bronze evening bag from Robinsons (total $54), one new dress - bright fuchsia pink from a shop at citilink mall ($46 after discount), one new top and one pair of new jeans from Springfield ($80 after discount). Before my weekend shopping spree, I got a pair of covered pointy flat at $15 (after discount) from giovanna.

I guess my most expensive clothing for this CNY will be this dress I bought it from Holland V last August. Plus the alteration, that dress cost me almost $80. This also shows the slowing down of the retail market. Within a mere 4 months, the happy retailers are now cracking their head to keep their business afloat. Huge discounts, extended opening hours, polite sales girls....

This is so ironic, isn't it?! I mean... to all the shoppers out there, what more can we ask for. But deep down inside, we know that we are experiencing the scary recession. I guess this is what we usually call - there are 2 sides of stories on a coin.

Comments

Anonymous said…
hi ger... i agree with what u said... the market is so quiet tis yr...not only the shopping malls...even my mum was telling me tat supermarkets were not as packed as wat they should be tis yr....