Mummy can have her meltdown, is legit.


This Straits Times article caught my eye.

"Mums have meltdowns too, let's just move on." by Clara Chow.

Since Good Friday weekend onwards, my 2 children weren't behaving well. I mean they have usual tantrums and fights but the past 2 weeks were a new level of growing up. They fought very badly with each other, scratching each other, biting each other and the younger one started to use his legs to kick his brother.

But nothing has quite prepared for yesterday, the biggest meltdown ever by the youngest one. The triggering point was a "No" to the library because the timing didn't allow a trip to the library after their Berries class. I proposed an evening trip which was refused. So there he stood and not inching any step. His father was starting to be frustrated and just huddled him into the car.

The entire drive home had him constantly scratching me and even biting me. It was mayhem. By the time peace had restored, both myself and the husband had such a bad headache.


the bite


Can I use the word "Jaded" to describe my feeling with the 2 boys? Am I even allowed to feel such way? I don't know. Mummy is always perceived as the strong one, with endless energy like an Energizer Bunny. Mummy also has the solution to fix every problem. Mummy has a way to handle even the most difficult child.

But not for me. Saturday tantrum or meltdown was a traumatic experience, not because of the bite. The body language from a 4 year old was exploded with strong counter-challenge-parents fuse. You scolded, he talked back. You threatened him with a cane, he struck first by hitting you. At that point, I didn't know how to handle him anymore.

It's tiring, to me. How do you get a 4 & 5 yr old to cooperate with you? From the moment they wake up in the morning to bedtime, is always a tug-of-war to get things done. Simple instruction "can you wear your shoes?" can take up to 10 minutes before anyone actually acts on it. It's frustrating and exhaustive.

It also doesn't help much when well-meaning friends started to share their parenting style. I mean I could listen to their good advice another day but right now, I need someone to tell me "It's okay. Mummy doesn't have to know everything. Mummy can be jaded."

Perhaps I need my own meltdown, just so life can move on.




Comments

Angeline said…
Jia you! U r not alone and I tin every parent goes through same phase as you too. Even I am losing patience at both of them at times especially they insist on going with their way stubbornly. But the episode is over, I looked back and thinking that maybe next time when they become teenagers, they dun even bother to tok or reason with me with all their make-up excuses. They simply ignore and take me transparent? Hehehe...

Be positive and I am also relying on our Abba Saviour for the strength, wisdom and favour of being a parent =)
Les Pommes said…
Ah you know Angeline, I heard the same comment too. The toughest time will soon pass and they will not even bother to look at you, not even for a second. But before the toughest time pass me by, I definitely need wisdom and guidance in handling the dragon. Indeed, you have reminded me who I should look to for wisdom and coincidentally, My Daily Bread's devotion was on handling anger (28th April 2017). How apt and how divine! God works in such mysterious way and I pray He will bail me out on this.