Opening a Love Bank account


You probably heard of love bank and how couple is encouraged to create a keepsake of good memories so in tough times when there is a lot of arguments and quarrels, one would be reminded of the goodness of each other.

So I thought, why not I put it in record, jotted it down, took a picture and be reminded of how my little boy has persevered and the learning journey we took together.


1st Surprise

I was very much surprised and delighted when my 4year 6month old Jonathan told me one night he could write his Chinese name without help. He went on and wrote down his name for me and his papa to see.  I was amazed because he struggled very hard with the Chinese language and I told his preschool's Chinese teacher to lower her expectation for him.

I was so amazed that I showed the work to his Chinese teacher the next day and couldn't thanked her enough for her encouragement and guidance.


This evening, I just blurted out if he could write the numbers in Chinese for me. He gamely took it on and although he could only manage till 4, I felt I had struck lottery! I never expected him to be able to write any Chinese words at this stage.


amazing!


Perhaps this piece of work is easily achieved by other kids but for Jonathan, I never thought he could get this far. We really had a lot of struggle with Chinese language but we work hard together, practising the words taught in Berries daily.



reading passage


Besides Chinese, we also started practising phonics and blending. We would revise the High Frequency words taught in school and now, stringing these words into sentences and a simple passage. He doesn't always manage well and sometimes, I found it incredulous he doesn't remember the words we keep repeating day after day. There would be tears too. Today, we did this.


today's lesson

I constructed simple sentences with the words he learnt. Used the word "Boat" to emphasis on blending sound and to ensure he understand the sentences, I got him to draw out the passage. He was happy and I knew there and then, I hit the right spot to create effective learning with him. He drew the picture which described the passage and then he copied the sentences over, focused and neatly.

He beamed at his completed work but he didn't hear the thunderous applause from my heart for his effort. What a night! What a feat for a 4+ year old boy!



Comments