Press on...

28 March 2015

The queue to Parliament House to pay final respects to LKY has been overwhelming and I only managed to reach PH in my 3rd attempt. The first attempt was Friday wee hours at 3am. I didn't expect the queue to have a 8 hours wait and I calculated that I would not be in time to settle the boys. So anticipating that I would need extra help, I got hubby to get MIL to come over on Saturday morning if we managed to go but not back in time when the boys woke up.

However, on Saturday wee hours 3am, I learnt the queue was temporarily suspended due to overwhelming response. I went back to sleep but on off waking up to check on the queue status. We did our usual Saturday routine and at 12+pm, I read the queue was about 4hours wait. The boys napped early and we made a dash down. My 3rd attempt.

We parked the car at Raffles City smoothly, proceeded to follow the direction to queue. We didn't have to wait too long. We walked fast and kept moving. I was quite concerned about the boys at home. It was approaching 2.30pm and we were at our 2nd Pit Stop. We had been in queue for 1.5 hours.




backdrop of our financial district


Along the way, volunteers had been giving out canned drinks, bottled water, buns, vegetarian noodles, chicken rice even. Wet wipes to cool off and cardboard to fan ourselves, poncho as it was raining, umbrellas too.

Mr Lim Swee Say came by along Esplanade and I shook his firm hands. Army officers came around to update us and encourage us. I experienced the Singapore spirit.



3rd Pit Stop - Fullerton Hotel

At 3rd Pit Stop, things started to move very slow. But there was no pushing or frustration. Everyone just waited patiently for their turns.



Singapore River - How we adore thee

It was moving real slow by Singapore River but I guess that's because we were approaching PH. By then, I met Mr Yaccob Ibrahim. He came to give encouragement. Along the way, we were told what to expect ahead, condolences card and pen would be provided, try to put everything together in one bag for security screening. Everyone was cooperative.


Final destination


We reached the PH close to 3 hours in queue. Mr Shanmugan came to give us support while we were preparing for security check. He looked very tired as I shook his hands. Words cannot described our feelings as we stepped into PH.  The atmosphere was solemn. We bowed and saw PM Lee. He may be tired but his voice was still strong and firm.


3 attempts to go and we finally made it on the last day. My first to join a Singapore queue, my first to queue under rain and shine. My first to meet 3 minsters and PM. My first to shake 2 ministers' hands. My first closest encounter with LKY.  My first turned out to be last…


Rest In Peace, Sir!

Comments