Rejected


Matthew received his first rejection today.

I had gone down to Mindchamps today to speak to the principal regarding Matthew. Given Matthew's condition, I would need to know if Mindchamps would be able to handle if the febrile fit occur in their centre.

I was dismayed at the principal's reply and was disappointed with her attitude. In all honesty, at least they let me know they cannot accept the responsibility. However, during the conversation I felt a total lack of empathy and compassion. The shifty eyes, the lack of knowledge on what's a febrile fit, the unwillingness to find out more. In short, I got the impression that they just want easy peasy children in their centre. Preferably those that are toilet trained at home, quick to learn things and independent.

Actually all I requested is for the teacher to pick up tell tale sign should Matthew suddenly has a fever, stay close with him till I get to him. The response was they couldn't assure me they could do it. They boast of a low student : teacher ratio and ask for a premium in the fees yet they couldn't assure me that the teacher would be confident in picking up sign Matthew is having a fever. They put 6 students to 1 teacher and the teacher is not able to visually pick up a shivering Matthew or a sudden withdraw Matthew, am I missing something here?

Anyway, Mindchamps is also quick to response that they will prepare a cheque for Matthew's withdrawal.

So the search of preschool continues and as for Jonathan, it will be a matter of time I withdraw him from Mindchamps. The lack of empathy and compassion in the principal and management really makes me wonder how they treat little children when problem arises.

Comments

Emma said…
Hello!
Emma here. Remember me ?
I have been following your blog since I came across it when I was looking for reviews on Gleneagles.

Would like to send my blessings to Mathew, hope that he will go stronger day by day. :)

Would like to suggest if you ever consider putting Mathew at home until he is slightly older like 2.5years onwards when his immunity is stronger ? And probably bring him to weekly enrichment classes instead? It can be quite taxing on their little body to attend school now.

My boy is 2 weeks younger than Mathew and I was looking for preschools for him high and low last month. I visited abt 10 schools but in the end decided to put him in a playgroup instead for the time being. Take a look at this mummy's blog. Bubble-belly.blogspot.sg
I am a fan of this mummy. Hope you like it.

However, this is just my personal views. Everyone's situation is different and hence the different needs.

Looking forward to your next post. :)
Take care and lots of love to you and your family.



Les Pommes said…
Hi Emma,

It has been a long time. Thanks for dropping a note. After discussing with the NUH PD, we decided it would better to keep Matt at home. We will just focus on building up his immunity this year.