A Febrile Fit Child is NOT a Special Need Child


The hurt of a mother is beyond tears and words.

I couldn't even open my mouth to say how heartbroken I was when people shy away from us when they heard Matthew's condition. The tears couldn't make up the shattered pieces of my heart when I had to hold him while the nurses drew his blood again.

If Matthew could articulate, what would he say? Would he turn to me and say "Mama, why does the school reject me?" Would he turn to me and say "Mama, why does the nurse keep taking my blood?"

A febrile fit child is not a special need child. It makes my heart ache when no preschool is willing to accept him. A febrile child is not a retarded child. Matthew is bright and yearns so much to attend school like his brother.



at 15 month old, he is learning
to put on his shoes and socks




he doodles with his brother


While I haven't calm myself down at the multiple rejection, the review with NUH PD highlighted that it would be a high chance he would go into fit when he has a fever and a high chance it would be a multiple fit from his history. Then the NUH PD sprang a surprise on us, he noticed that Matthew's blood count seem to suggest he could have Thalassemia. Poor Matt had 3 tubes of blood drawn from him on Friday. The years of routine check or even at gynae's never pick up any slightest hint we could have Thalassemia.

We left the hospital in a gloom.

There would be plenty for us to do in the following weeks, to get his MMR + V done when our own PD is back, going back to NUH again for the result, assess the situation and see if we and Jonathan should go for a screen too, go for TCM to strengthen both boys' immunity.

It is going to be busy weeks ahead.

Comments

Angeline said…
No worries. Jon and Matt are God's gift for the both of u. I'm sure they shall be blessed and watched over by Him for good health, favors, blessings and Shalom =)