Enrichment Class - Yay or Nay?


Since the boys are in MindChamps Preschool, the next question people tend to ask would be - do we still send them for other enrichment classes after school hours? The answer is yes.

The very first enrichment class the boys had attended was music appreciation. That was almost 2 years ago with Our Music School at Tanglin Mall. We only persevered for 2 terms before we moved on to Right Brain Training with Heguru @ Fusionopolis. Jon had a full year of Heguru in 2014 but we felt that he wasn't ready for their Preschool program so we withdrew him while Matt continued with Heguru.

For the elder boy, he has started his Chinese enrichment class since beginning of this year with Berries. We wanted him to have Berries because this would increase the Chinese exposure and environment for him. The initial phrase would see him cry and then we heard teacher's complaint on his lack of revision. So we tried to buckle up but the feel was that he still wasn't good enough. So we tried even harder, got down to work daily to get him to recognise the words he learnt. Finally in September mini-test, Jon showed that our effort has paid off.



Progress Report from Berries


Yesterday he brought home a progress report. Both hubby and I felt he has done well although there is still room for improvement. But for Jon who started talking late and had difficulty in speech development, this was a marvellous improvement and achievement for him. The reserved Jon has also interacted well with his classmates and I  was glad to note that he took part in class activities.


We had signed him up for K1 Chinese enrichment with Berries and the younger brother is joining him at Berries next year. Each term fees came about $640+ and multiplied by 2, I am a $1200+ poorer.


For Matt, ever since we withdrew him from Heguru, his Saturday morning became aimless. He would wander around with us and so I signed him up for art class. I remember he enjoyed the painting but didn't like to be alone without us in class. So I got him into Toosy class with Abrakadoodle.




veggie printing


We just started for 3 lessons and I like it that he gets to paint with different styles and materials. Each term consists of 10 lessons and the fees is around $350 for a term. Material cost is inclusive in the fees. With Berries next year, we might either let him continue but change class timing or withdraw him again. The inclination would be he continues his painting class, hopefully as drop-off class while Jon goes for music appreciation.


It is not hard to guess bulk of our income goes to their preschool education and enrichment classes. So it is true that having children can be financially taxing but I have also seen parents not sending their kids to any classes. I guess this is about choice and each's comfortable level. No right or wrong answer.

Comments

Tan said…
I love berries too! Read on a few more posts n saw our kids r same age. I Oso been to Mindchamps at wcp. Agreed tat the principal seems nice. But I still din go for it. When i need to chg kid cc Mindchamps is advertising but not open yet so I enroll in anther cc n she seems happy ther so I'm not changing even aft wcp outlet opened.
Not sure abt how accurate is Jon's assessment but I tink u do not be too worried. I believe kids will catch up so hope he dun feel stress too. I'm pretty sure my kid is behind too haha but I din say tat to her. If u reali r u can go for I can read. Wcp Oso hv a outlet. It is my backup plan if at k1 she is still behind. All the best! :)
Les Pommes said…
Hi there! Thanks for dropping by.

Glad your girl has settled well in her preschool. If we have a choice, we would prefer not to uproot the kids to a new preschool. While many think children are versatile, there's still the "what if" and they can't settle well into new school, the situation would end up even more stressful.

Thanks for the comforting words too. Not sure what's the actual requirement now for a 4 year old, everything seems to be in accelerated mode nowadays. Sure hope my boys can catch up and close the gap.