Nightly Routine


I only started a routine to teach Jon and Matt sometime in March or April this year. In the beginning, getting the boys to settle down and do some activity was exhausting. Slowly it got better and we started to have some progress.

Recently the Heguru teacher held a parent-teacher meeting and I was advised to make good use of the materials and tried to practice with them at home. Acting on the advice, I came up with a time table so that

1) there's a systematic way to practice Heguru's teaching with them
2) the father can continue the learning with the boys if I'm not in.



sounds scary?

Actually for them, the learning session is probably just 10-15mins each night. I listed down the possible activities I could do with them. We just started in September and so far, the boys have been quite cooperative.



example of mandala


Sometimes, I forget that each activity could be something new to them and I shouldn't be asking for perfection. Well, in the case of mandala, Jon could pick up 2 colours and I kept pushing for more. I really ought to exercise self-control.


(Mandala is whereby a picture (shown above) is flashed for a minute. The first try is to pick out the colours. Then the picture would be flashed another time for a minute again. The second try is to draw and in put the shapes and colours. Heguru believes this method will activate the right brain and develop photographic memory.)



completed by Jon



But what is Jon really good at would be this - Iroita and tangram. He would easily match the required shapes.



Matt's effort


However for Matt, he could only manage half of the exercise.


I also found free online worksheets that are helpful in developing their writing.


tracing the dotted lines
by Jon


number
(coloured by Matt)

I do hope we can all persist as it really took a lot of determination not to slack in front of the TV. On a side note, Heguru teacher also encourages reading 10 books a day, no mean feat! The most I could do with them is 6 books during bedtime.

While learning is important, I also hope to cultivate an attitude / appetite to pursue knowledge. This will be the most important foundation to build in a child's life.





Comments

Unknown said…
may i know where i can buy iroita? I live in melb, wonder if I can buy it online?
Les Pommes said…
Hi Bertha,

Sorry for this ultra late reply.

I'm not too sure if the material can be bought online. I DIY with magnetic sheet and use the worksheet given during class for practice.