Benten Café

A new contemporary Japanese restaurant opened at Jurong Point recently. Went there today to have a try. Located at 3rd Level, Benten Café is an open concept eatery, with high stools and tables and open concept kitchen. At the side of its corridor, there are sofa chairs with tables for dining. Since it is an open concept outlet, be prepared to have many people staring at you and your food.

We were there around 6.45pm and it was already quite crowded. But we didn't have to wait for long before we were ushered to the side table. Generally, the food served were what I called contemporary Japanese food. Think others than sushi and sashimi. Afterall, with the Basement Osaka Street, there's no point in competing. Benten Café is better off serving Teppan Yakisoba, Pasta in Soup, Cream Soup or their special broth (cannot remember the words they used).

Varieties are okay for a start. I decided to try their Hamburger Teppan Yakisoba while Darren went for their Deep Fried Chicken Pasta in Soup. Oh, did I mention that they served ice water in hot cup? Well, their ice water came with a glass that's hot and it's good! It means that they sterilised their utensils well.

My Hamburger Teppan Yakisoba came quite soon. Instruction was noted, because I asked for a full cooked egg instead of the sunny-side up egg. However, the hamburger patty looked awful. My first impression was that the hamburger looked out of shape, liked it was made without love and passion. The noodles were oily and salty. The cabbages that came in big chunks which I disliked. If you want to cook cabbages, please peel the leaves individual and not chop them up. It will look much better on the plate.

However, the deep fried chicken pasta in soup was surprising very good. The first sip of the soup was favoursome. I liked the strong garlic favour that came with it. When I ate my first mouth of pasta, it was chewy and of the right texture. However, the deep fried chicken reeked of oil taste which diminished the whole experience. Other than that, it was served in a big bowl that resembled of a clam. I thought the bowl was unique and somehow, I felt happy after a few mouths of the pasta and the soup. It could be the garlic broth or the unique clam bowl.

In any case, we spent $25 for these 2 meals. I guess I won't be coming back too often unless I crave for the garlic broth and the unique pasta in soup. Oh, in the dessert section, I saw this gigantic ice cream with lotsa sweet treats at $38.80. I shall reserve this portion until I gather 10 people to try it out with me.

I didn't manage to take a good picture of it as I was using my camera hp which is less than 2 megapixels. This is my hamburger teppan yakisoba. It looked very different from their menu which was rather disappointing. Hope Benten Café will improve on their presentation.


Deep Fried Chicken Pasta in Soup. I liked the strong garlic favoured broth and I thought the clam lookalike bowl is unique. However, the deep fried chicken was a letdown. But the broth saved the day!

Comments